History & Heritage
The first reference to Beaumont is around the year 1300 when the
estate and much of the locality was owned by Hugo de Remenham.
Beaumont Estate was then known as Remenham. The estate (which was
then over 91 acres) was then owned for a period by the Tyle family,
and subsequently by John Morley, Francis Kibblewhite, William
Christmas. It was then acquired by Henry Frederick Tynne who
had architect James Gibbs re-design the house in 1705 and named it
Bowman’s Lodge. In 1714 Thomas Tynne, 2nd Viscount
of Weymouth inherited. In the mid-eighteenth century it was
acquired by Sophia, Duchess of Kent. Back then, the land continued
right down to the river.
In 1751 The Duke of Roxburghe purchased the estate for his son -
Marquis of Beaumont (then a boy a Eton College) who renamed it
Beaumont Lodge. In 1786 Warren Hastings, the first Govenor-General
of India (Beaumont’s most celebrated tenant), acquired Beaumont
Lodge at the cost of £12,000. In 1789 the estate was sold to Henry
Griffith (which then still included the Bells of Ousley), who had
Henry Emlyn rebuild the house in 1790 as a nine-bay mansion and
carry out extensive improvements.
In 1805 the Beaumont property was bought for about £14,000 by
Viscount Ashbrook, a friend of George IV. After his death in 1847
his widow disposed of The Bells of Ousley but continued to reside
there until 1854, when she sold it to the Society of Jesus as a
training college. For 7 years it housed Jesuit novices of the
(then) English province and on 10th October 1861 it became a
Catholic boarding school for boys with the title of St. Stanislaus
College, Beaumont, widely known as the ‘Catholic Eton’. Queen
Victoria is known to have visited Beaumont 3 times during the time
in which it was a school.
In 1870 a chapel was built by renowned architect Joseph Hansom
with a barrel-vaulted ceiling. It was carefully painted in 1902 by
William Romaine-Walker who described his style as ‘The Grandchild
of the Pompeian’.
The school enjoyed a fine reputation until 1967 when the order
rejoined the faculty and moved to Stoneyhurst in Lancashire. In the
gardens are poignant reminders of the school such as a memorial
erected in remembrance of the old boys who lost their lives in the
two world wars. Her Majesty the Queen planted a tree close to the
memorial on 15th May 1961 to commemorate Beaumont College’s
Once the school closed, Beaumont Estate was purchased by British
computer company ICL who used it as their training centre. In 2003,
Hayley Conference Centres bought the venue and developed it into an
upscale conference venue. The original White House in the grounds
and the Chapel were left untouched and under-utilised, until
Principal Hayley Hotels and Conference Venues acquired Beaumont
House in 2007.
In June 2008, Beaumont Estate embarked on an ambitious
refurbishment programme to completely renovate The White House and
restore the Chapel. Just 5 months and £8.1million later the
beautiful, the exclusive White House opened and the magnificent
Chapel was unveiled.
History of Beaumont Estate's
The Dining Room - Known as “The First Guest
Room” – Where parents were allowed to spend time with their
children to pick up and drop off for exits – 3 times per term. It
was also the visiting room for parents and children.
The Barramundi - Was the Rector (Headmaster’s)
The Joseph Bampton Suite & The William Bodkin
Suite - This room was combined with the coved ceiling in
the William Bodkin Suite as the Jesuit’s Chapel. As the central
Chapel for all the Jesuit staff at the school it could seat up to
The Roxburghe Conference Room - This was
occupied by the School Chemist.
The Hastings Conference Room - This was the
The Beaumont Lounge – This was the main dining
room for the 13-15 year olds. The gallery area was for storage.
The Beaumont Room – This was the seniors dining
The Cedar Suite and our Admin / Sales Offices –
These were the school kitchens.
The Wessex Suites – These were all
The Hanover Lounge – This was the school
The Lancaster Rooms 1 & 2 – This was the
School Captain’s room.
The Windsor Suites – Left hand side chemistry,
right hand side physics.
The Buckinghams – This was the Sixth form block
and built in 1962.
The Reception corridor – Before the existing
extension there was a small corridor from the Hanover lounge to the
swimming pool, and this was where the bicycles were left and there
was also the school tailors based there for alterations and
The Sandringhams – This was the Old School
The Osbournes – This was the school Master’s
House, and prior to that the Dairy.
The Kensingtons – This was the school workshop
and carpentry store and the general estate workshop.
•The White House top floor bedrooms are where the Jesuit
•The original School Infirmary was based opposite Beaumont farm.
The Sanatorium block was only built after the 1st World War
•The Pond – This was called the Captain’s Pond and it was stated
that if the Captain could skate on the pond due to ice then a half
day holiday was given.
• The swimming pool was the first heated
indoor swimming pool to be built in England.
• Coco Chanel’s nephew was a pupil, and the school blazer
is said to have been the inspiration for the 1924 Chanel Suit.
• The first motorist in England was the Hon Evelyn Ellis,
who in 1885 drove a car from his home to Beaumont.
• The Chapel is said to be inspiration for the chapel in
Evelyn Waugh’s ‘Brideshead Revisited’. The current window is a
replacement as the original was destroyed by a doodlebug which
landed on the school during the 2nd World War.